Top 5 Wednesday is an amazing group on Goodreads. It was started by Lainey at Gingerreadslainey and is now run by Samantha over at Thoughtsontomes. This is a fun way to talk about things we love and hate, and things we love to hate. I strongly encourage you to join in! This weeks topic is books you finally want to read in 2017. Being readers we are all way too familiar with the ever growing TBR (to be read) pile. New books are released weekly that we want to read, which moves older books on our TBR down the line. Here are the top 5 books I keep meaning to read but just have yet to get to:
5) Passenger by Alexandra Bracken. This book was HIGHLY anticipated by me last winter, but I just never got around to reading it! I love anything to do with time travel, and that cover is stunning. Hopefully I’ll get to this one in January.
4) Burial Rites by Hannah Kent.This one I don’t hear about too often but when I do hear someone talking about it they’re usually gushing about it. It has a solid 4 star rating with 45.5k ratings on Goodreads. Burial Rites is a historical fiction following the last woman to be sentenced to death in Iceland in 1829. I’ve had this one sitting on my shelf for a few years now but 2017 is the year I WILL pick it up.
3) The Martian by Andy Weir. This book. I have been dying to finally read this book. I have heard that Mark Watney is one of the funniest narrators in fiction, and I need to experience his character for myself. I did see the movie and it quickly became one of my all time favorite movies, so naturally, I need to read the book now. I think I keep putting this one off because I have heard it’s a bit heavy on the science, but duh, it’s about an astronaut trying to survive alone on Mars while NASA tries to bring him home. Mark Watney, I’m coming for you, soon… hopefully.
2) The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry. This book has one of the most beautiful covers I have seen in my life. Honestly. The colors are stunning, and the design is gorgeous and I will not lie, it’s what drew me to this book in the first place. And then I read the synopsis. It sounds like magical realism, with a touch of time travel. Also, it’s been blurbed as Friday Night Lights meets The Time Traveler’s Wife. Sign me up, please!
1) What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler. This book is so very important. From the moment I heard about this book I knew I needed to own a copy. This debut novel bravely takes on the topic of rape culture and how our society is so quick to blame the victim. Rape is not a topic covered in YA too often but it is so important to discuss, and it is so important for teens to know the difference between consensual sex and rape. We’ve all seen that girl at a party get way too drunk, and we’ve all heard stories being told about that girl afterwards. This novel shows the damage of slut shaming and victim blaming when we should be standing up for the girls (or guys) who become victims of sexual assault, and instead punish those who violate another human being’s body. I think I’ll make this the first read of 2017. Just talking about it is making want to pick it up this very second.
If you have read any of these books let me know what you thought in the comments below! If not, let me know which book is top of your TBR for 2017.
2 thoughts on “Top 5 Wednesday – Books You Finally Want to Read in 2017”
I found Passenger to be a decent read. It took half the novel for me to get interested and had to put it down until I picked it back up a few months later and finished it. The Martian is a wonderful book! Watney is hilarious!
Here’s my list:
heh, Martian is on my to-REread list 😀
and I think I’ll do it next year